Vishaka Hari - Harikatha (English)
August 8, 2020 –
Email Shaila@raagafl.org for link.
Smt. Vishakha Hari is a practitioner of the ancient beautiful form of art called Harikatha or Katha keerthan. Herein she weaves beautiful stories of value and wisdom interspersed with mellifluous songs of yesteryear great composers. Her themes are varied and are generally from our great epics and puranas like the Ramayan and Srimad Bhagavatha Puranam. She presents Harikathas in Tamil and English (the narrative is in Tamil or English) and the songs are from various languages including Telugu, Kannada, Marathi, Hindi and Sanskrit.
Her Gurus are Shri Lalgudi G.Jayaraman, the great violin maestro for music, Shri Krishnapremi Swamigal and Shri R. Hari for katha ( story component).
She was initiated into music right from her childhood years as early as when she was 5 years old. This was truly because of the passion of her parents who are lovers of Indian art and culture. After her marriage with Shri Hariji she was initiated into the art of Harikatha by her guru and father- in-law Shri Krishnapremi Swami who is a great vidwan in shastras. Blending beautifully both music and katha she spreads valuable messages of love and peace throughout the world. She has been awarded several titles and has raised funds through her programs for several social causes. Having secured the Third Rank in the Final Chartered Accountancy examination along with an All India First in Direct Taxes she is an academician too. Presently she is guiding children, teenagers and youngsters to look up to Indian culture and arts for which she has been honoured as the Distinguished Professor of Oriental Studies and Arts. She and her husband tour all over the world to spread Indian values and universal peace.
She is the founder of ‘VIJAYASHRI SCHOOL OF HARIKATHA’ – a patashaala to promote the art of Harikatha and a medium to promote our culture, values and Dharma.
|Kalaimamani award||the State Government of TamilNadu|
|Lifetime Achievement Award||Bharathiya Vidya Bhavan, Chennai|
|Lifetime Achievement Award||Karthik Fine Arts, Chennai|
|M. S.Subbulakshmi Award- 7 eminent Women of India||Shanmugananda Sabha, Mumbai|
|Sangeetha Vedantha Dhureena||Rama Lalitha Kala Mandira, Bengaluru|
|Vishwa Kala Bharathi||Bharath Kalachar, Chennai|
|Thyagaraja Prathidwani||Akhila Bharatha Sadhu Sanga|
|Yuva Puraskar||Sangeeth Natak Academy, Central Government|
|Harikatha Choodamani||Sri KrishnaGana Sabha|
|“ Vasantha Sreshta”---woman par excellence||Vasantha Memorial Trust|
|Yuva Kala Bharathi||Bharath Kalachar|
Hari has given a number of performances in India and abroad.
She has also helped raise funds for various charities: Cancer patients for Vasantha Memorial Cancer Centre, special children affected with Down syndrome, mentally challenged patients, heart patients at Narayana Hrudayalaya, destitute and orphans at Sai Samskrutalaya, downtrodden at Prathyarpana Foundation, Rama temple at Delhi.
- “Musical Duets”/ “Sibling Harmony” - Carnatic Vocal Duet with Vocalist Vidwan S. Saketharaman at Narada Gana sabha, Music Academy etc.,
- “Musical Collaborations” – with Shri Sruthi Sagar, flautist, Shri Mudikondan Ramesh- Vainika, Shri Sathya Narayana- keyboard
- “Nrithya Harikatha on Women of Wisdom”—Harikatha along with Nruthya by Smt. Urmila Sathyanarayanan
- “Tribute to Lalgudi” – A concert cum contributions of Shri Lalgudi Jayaraman at Shanmugananda Sabha, Mumbai, Narada gana sabha, Chennai, Convention centre, Chennai.
- “Jaya Jayaraman-Musical Biography”- At the Music Academy, Chennai for the 80th birthday celebrations of Shri Lalgudi Jayaraman.
Hari has also tuned various compositions of Sadhashiva Brahmendral, Purandharadasar, Surdas, Meera Bai,
Abhangs of Sanths and compositions of Subramanya Bharathiar.
B. Ananthakrishnan is blessed to hail from a reputed musician family. He is the grandson of renowned Violin Vidhwan, the Late V.K. Venkata Ramanujam Iyengar (Exprofessor Performing Arts Banaras Hindu University), and son of equally reputed violinist Dr. V. Balaji, Head of the Department, Faculty of Performing Arts, Banaras Hindu University (Varanasi). Anantha Krishnan continues his training today under the guidance of the wellknown Violin Vidhwan, Sri S. Varadarajan. He has had the honor of accompanying almost every living legend in the field, and continues to share the stage with all senior artists today. Anantha Krishnan has received great appreciation from reputed critics in major newspapers and magazine publications across India and abroad. Performance Experience: vi Delhi Doordarshan, 1993 Performed alongside his grandfather the late Vidwan V.K. Venkata Ramanujam at the young age of seven. vï Has performed in every major sabha all over India, including The Music Academy Madras, Sri Krishna Gana Sabha, Narada Gana Sabha, Bharat Kalachar, and Shanmukhananda Sabha (Mumbai), just to name a few. vï Performed concert tours in several countries around the world including Germany, Belgium, USA, Singapore, Dubai, Doha, South Africa, and Australia. Holds a B-High grade from All India Radio, Chennai.
Awards & Achievements:
|Best Sub-Senior Violinist Award||The Music Academy Madras||2011-2012 & 2013-2014|
|Best Concert Award||The Music Academy Madras||2010-2011|
|Youth Excellence Award||Maharajapuram Viswanatha Iyer Trust, Chennai||2009-2010|
|Yuva Kala Bharathi||Bharath Kalachar, Chennai||2008-2009|
|Villisai Virpanar Award||Kumbakonam Vani Villas Sabha||2007-2008|
S.J. Arjun Ganesh
Born in Kumbakonam (Peralam - a small nearby village), a city well known for its rich musical tradition, Arjun Ganesh is a versatile and renowned Mridangam artiste in the field of Carnatic music. Melody, impeccable playing for the compositions and aesthetic Mathematics characterize Arjun Ganesh's Mridangam Playing. A much sought-after artiste. He is the disciple of Legendary Mridanga Vidwan. Poongulam. Sri.R.Sabesa Iyer, who developed the Thiruvarur Bani (Method). Many of his students are becoming well known in the performance circuit. He is also an A graded artiste of All India Radio and Doordarshan and has been performing for the past 3 decades.
Today, Arjun is one of the most sought-after artists of his generation. He has been fortunate to accompany some of the senior most artists in the field such as Sri.TK.Govinda Rao, Dr. M. Balamuralikrishna, Sri. T. V. Gopalakrishnan, Sri. T. V. Sankara-narayanan, Sri. O.S. Thyagarajan, Sri. Sanjay Subrahmanyan, Prince Sri. Rama Varma, Smt. Aruna Sairam, Malladi Brothers, Neyveli Sri.R.Santhanagopalan, Smt.S. Sowmya and Smt. Visaka Hari, Sri Unni Krishnan, Sri.O.S.Arun, Sri. Sikkil Gurucharan and others. He has also performed in prestigious venues in India and abroad, and has successfully completed concert tours all over the world.
In addition to his career as a performing artiste, Arjun Ganesh is the founder of LAYA-AALAYA Mridangam School imparting mridangam knowledge for more than eighty students over past fifteen years in Chennai. He has received the praise of rasikas and critics alike all over.
Awards & Titles
• “Asthana Vidwan” – Sri Kanchi Kamakoti Peetham, Kanchipuram.
• “Yuva Nada Murthy” – from Kedaram, 2019
• “Best Mridangam Artiste Award” – from The Music Academy Madras for 4 consecutive years.
• “Outstanding Young Mridangam Artiste”- Vidwan. Padma Vibushan. Mridangam Legend. Umayalpuram.
Sri.K Sivaraman Sir’s Laya Lavanya Fine Arts Foundation,2018
• “Yagnaraman Award of Youth Excellence”-Sri Krishna Gana Sabha,2017
• “Best Concert Award” - The Music Academy Madras, December 2013
• “Sri Palghat Mani Iyer Award” - Sri Krishna Gana Sabha, 2013
• “Madura Murali Puraskar” - Conferred by Dr. Sri. M. Balamuralikrishna on his birthday, 2012
• “Meritorious Award” - from Maharajapuram Sri Viswanatha Iyer trust.
• “Talent Promotion Award “- Narada Gana Sabha 2011
• “Best Concert Award” - The Music Academy Madras, December 2011
• “Talent Promotion Award “- Narada Gana Sabha 2009
• “Vani Layagnana Sudaroli” - Vani Vilasa Sabha, Kumbakonam, 2008
• “Best Mridangam Artiste” - Tamil Nadu Iyal Isai Nataka Mandram, Govt. of Tamil Nadu, 2006
• First Prize, ‘Spirit of Youth’ Concert Series - The Music Academy Madras, 2006
• Senior scholarship recipient - Ministry of Tourism and Culture Department, (Govt. of India, New Delhi), February 2002 to January 2004
• “Best Percussion Artiste” - Sri Krishna Gana Sabha, 2002
• “Best Artiste” Gold Medal Award - Sri Pushpam College, Poondi, Thanjavur Dist, 1997
• First Prize in State level and National Level Competitions organized by Nehru Yuva Kendra, National Youth
Festival (Govt. of India), 1997
• “Best Artiste” Gold Medal Award - Sri Pushpam College, Poondi, Thanjavur District, 1997